Travis' Mission

Travis' Mission

Monday, January 9, 2012

Learning to Dance in the Rain

This week has been a crazy week, but I love it so much.  This week i have had many opportunities to learn, grow, and become more patient.  Being a missionary is such a wonderful experience, and I love it so much.  Not only have i seen the gospel change the lives of the people around me, but this preaching this amazing gospel to the people in Honduras has really changed my life.  I am so grateful for the opportunity to be a missionary and to bring the people that I love so much closer to Christ.  There are many wonderful and spiritual experiences that have really helped me learn and grow.  But what goes up most come down, and there is opposition in all things.  This week it rained 3 days straight, and when I say it rained i mean poured.  Even with my rain jacket and umbrella, I was soaked to the bone and I was actually cold for the first time in Honduras.  There was literally rivers in the streets because they were more than a feet deep and there were currents.  There came a certain point where we were just so wet that we just walked right through the rivers and lakes in the streets, and because it was the only way to get places.  Because of the rain, nobody wanted to come out and talk to us, and a lot of our appointments fell.  It is times like these where it is easy to give up or lose hope.  It is times like these where the rivers and waters or Satan come into our lives to try to discourage us.  It is times like these where the roads and streets are covered with water and it is easy to be lead astray from the straight and narrow path.  
Every single one of us have these times in our lives where we feel like everything is going against us.  As a missionary it can be very hard.  But it is times like these where we need to drop to our knees and pray to our Father in Heaven.  He always has his arms wide open, but he is always waiting for us to call on him.  I promise you that when you feel down that if you get on your knees and pray that you will be comforted and that your Heavenly Father with help you get through this storm in your life.  
 
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass, its about learning to dance in the rain."  
 
There will always be storms in our lives, but it is how we handle these storms that can really make the difference.  When all is said and done, it is about learning to dance in the rain.  We cant change what happens to us in life, but we can change how we act to the situation.  This week was really hard, but when i was trying to overcome my trials by putting my faith in the Lord and praying for strength.  Then i realized why i am here and what an amazing work i am a part of.  I then tried to be as positive as i could, even when the winds and the rains were all around me. 
 
"The present moment is too precious to waste on negative thoughts"  
 
Life is too amazing to waste time with negative thoughts.  It was then when i realized that I am so grateful for the opportunity to be here in Honduras to preach this wonderful gospel.  It was then when i learned how to dance in the rain.  When it was pouring rain and i was walking in the rivers in the streets, i danced in the rain.  I realized how blessed i am to be here, and it was amazing.  I was smiling and laughing the rest of the day. 
 
"Always be happy; always wear a smile; not because life is full of reasons to smile necessarily, but because your smile itself is a reason for many others to smile."
 
Every has storms in their lives.  But i promise that your will be so much happier when you learn to dance in the rain.  Put your faith in your savior, pray always, read your scriptures, serve others, and be positive.  Smile always and laugh often, and you will feel so much better.  Your happy and positive attitude will help you, but it will also help those around you. 
 
Overall, i am doing fantastic.  I love being on my mission, and i have never been happier in my life.  This week was hard, but i was able to learn and grown, and i was able to learn how to dance in the rain.  I challenge you to find the good things in life and enjoy every moment.  When the rains, winds and storms come in, pray first, and then learn to dance in the rain. 
 
Elder Travis Jay Ward

No comments:

Post a Comment