Travis' Mission

Travis' Mission

Monday, January 23, 2012

Power of the Priesthood

This week was another amazing week.  Some many wonderful things happen every week, and i would be impossible to try to explain everything.  But overall being a missionary is so much fun, and i am trying to love and enjoy every moment.  Every day i teach and serve the people here in Honduras the more and more i love them.  I am just full of them towards this amazing people, culture, and country.  Because i love them so much i try to do everything that i can to share the gospel and my testimony with as many people as possible so that they can feel the wonderful blessings of the gospel.  This gospel is so amazing and his has changed my life forever, and i want to to everything i can to change the lives of others through Jesus Christ and his atoning sacrifice. 
 
Monday night my back was really hurting and i was also very sick.  During the night i couldn't sleep because of my back and i got up 4 times to throw up all the liquids in my body, and then when i thought there was no more liquids in me i destroyed the toilet twice.  Long story short it wasn't pretty, my body was in a lot of pain, and i felt like i had 2 squirrels boxing in my stomach.  We had district meeting at the stake center, and the rapidito ride there was not good because they go so fast and ignore all the holes in the dirt roads.  During the bus ride i felt like i had to hold both ends with my hands so that i didn't explode.  Anyways, my body wasn't very nice to me, and i asked for a blessing from my companion and my Zone Leader.  The blessing helped my back and stomach feel much better.  The mission nurse made me stay home during the day because i also had a fever of 101.  After the blessing and after sleeping the rest of the day i felt so much better and i was able to work with full force the next day.  The power of faith and the priesthood is so amazing.  I am so grateful for the priesthood and also for the opportunity i have to use and hold the priesthood.  This week i was able to use my priesthood many times in giving blessings to members and investigators.  One of our investigators was so sick on Saturday night that she couldn't stand.  But with the power of the priesthood and her faith in Jesus Christ she was able to feel much better and she went to church.  her name is Margarita, and she is now preparing to get baptized this coming Saturday.  
 
There are many different Churches here in Honduras, and some of them have many different ways to worship God.  We contacted into a guy that let us right in because he loves the word of God.  But then he just went on and on about the Bible and started quoting it like crazy.  We tried to talk to him about the importance of authority and the restoration, but he really didn't let us talk.  To end the lesson we offered to close with a pray.  he insisted that we pray on our knees, which was fine, but when i was praying they had their arms above their heads.  And then when i was praying they started Screaming and yelling something about Jesus.  It was a very weird experience, and we pretty much planted the seed and got out of there.  I am so grateful that i belong to the true Church of Jesus Christ that has been restored.  There are many other crazy moments like that that happen every day, and the only i can do is laugh it off.  There are many little moments on the mission that are just so amazing, and i try to enjoy every second and make every moment count.  
 
I found out that i am going to have changes this Wednesday and that my comp is going to be training.  I love my area and the people in it so much, and it is going to be really hard to say goodbye.  I have grown very close to many of the members, converts, and the people that i have taught.  I am also excited to go to a new part of Honduras and go to a new area.  I have attached pictures of me and some of the families that i have helped teach or member families that have really impacted me.  There should be more pictures to come.  I will be going to the change meeting on Wednesday and from there i will find out where i am going and who my new comp is.  I will update you about the changes next week. 
 
"Life is full of difficulties, some minor and others if a more serious nature.  There seems to be an unending supply of challenges for one and all.  Our problem is that we often expect instantaneous solutions to such challenges, forgetting that frequently the heavenly virtue of patience is required."  --  President Thomas S. Monson
 
Here is a quote that i really like that has helped me a lot, and i hope that it can help you too.  Life is very difficult, and there are many trials and difficulties that we face every day.  The most important thing that we can do is to have patience with these trials and learn from them.  I have had many opportunities to increase my patience on my mission.  It is never easy during the trial when you need to excersize the patience, but it is so worth it in the end.  I challenge you to slow down, take one step at a time, and be patient with your trials.  The only way you can do this is if you pray, pray, pray.  I know that if you put your faith in the Lord and pray he will help you with your trials and give you the patience you need to overcome them.
 
Overall, i am doing fantastic, and i love everything about the mission.  I am trying to enjoy every moment and soak in everything.  I am doing my best to improve daily so that i can be the best missionary that i can. 
 
Elder Travis Jay Ward

No comments:

Post a Comment