Travis' Mission

Travis' Mission

Monday, October 17, 2011

The blessings of being a missionary

I love being a missionary so much.  Its amazing how much the Lord blesses those that serve him.  This week has been great.  Tuesday it poured rain all day, and I got soaked.  I am very grateful for my rain jacket.  The jacket covered the top half and my bag with all of my stuff.  But unfortunately it doesnt cover the bottom half, which got soaked.  after a while the dirt roads turned into muddy rivers.  there comes a point where I was so soaked that I didnt even care any more, and i just waded through all the streets to get from appointment to appointment.  It was actually quite the adventure.  Both my companion and I love rain, so we had a blast.  we raced each other through the rivers, splashed water on each other, played with some kids playing soccer (more like water Polo), and had a great time.  Its actually a really great time to go contacting because every lets you in to get out of the rain.  The only hard part about that is that you cant hear anything because the rain is pounding on the tin roofs.  One thing I thought was really sad but really funny was a little boy about 6 years old was walking on the street when a bus drove by and pretty much destroys him with water.  The blow knocked him down.  It was really sad, but it was so funny that i busted up laughing, and I am pretty sure that it made my whole day. 
 
we found a super amazing lady named Georgina.  She is an owner of a Pulperia (which are little stores that have the things you need, and they are on almost every corner).  We were late to an appointment when we ran into her, so we game her a pamphlet on the Restoration and set a date to come back.  when we came back the next day she was reading the pamphlet for the second time.  she said that it had touched her in a way that she couldn't describe.  she pretty much taught us the lesson from reading the pamphlet.  we explained Joseph Smith, the first vision, and the Book of Mormon, and she told us that she loved everything that she heard.  she pretty much begged us to get baptized.  it was such a humbling experience.  We gave her a book of Mormon and set a baptism date (on the fist visit!!!).  It is so amazing how much the Lord had prepared her.  The spirit was so strong during the lesson that words can not describe. 
 
we are teaching the Romero Family, and they are amazing.  The husband and wife aren't married, and they cant get baptized until they get married.  With the amazing power of the holy ghost we taught a great lesson on the importance of marriage and families.  they felt the spirit, and we set a date for marriage and baptism.  I dont know why, but marriage is hard for people down here.  Not because of the money, but because they dont like commitments.  There is a 72 year old man that we are teaching who isnt married, but he has been with his "wife" for 32 years. 
 
Something I ate made me really really sick, and my stomach hurt really bad.  It hurt so bad that I couldn't sleep.  In the middle of the night I had the runs, threw up, and had the runs again.  the gringos here call that the Double Dragon, which is the squirts at both ends.  its no fun at all.  But I was able to get that over with fast, and i was able to work hard and do missionary work.  The food is really great here, but when its not cooked well or cleaned well, its not fun going out. 
 
Church is always great, but is really nerve racking waiting for our investigators.  we had 9 say that why were coming, and only 2 came.  Sometimes i just want to take their agency away so that they can feel the blessing of going to church.  they cant progress unless they go to church.  I gave a talk in church, and it went well.  I know that i had the help of the Holy Ghost because i wasn't nervous at all, and my Spanish was much better that usually.  there are so many little ways the Lord blesses me, and it comforts me to see the so many blessings. 
 
I am so grateful for this opportunity i have to be on my mission in Honduras.  I feel like i have so much love for the country, the people, the work, the food, and everything else that my heart is to small to handle it.  There is no place on earth that i would rather be, and i have never been happier in my life.  I know that this is where i am supposed to be.  I know that i have been called of God, and i am so grateful for the opportunity to serve Him.  Missionary work is so powerful.  Just remember, you dont have to go on a mission to be a missionary.  every member is a missionary, and i challenge you to look for ways to serve and preach the gospel.  "Preach the gospel at all times, and if necessary use words".  Be an example, and be a missionary. 
 
"After all that has been said, the greatest and most important duty is to preach the gospel"   ---  Joseph Smith
 
"God never calls people to fail, always to succeed."
 
"As long as you are willing to pay the price, nothing is impossible."
 
Christ gave his all for you --  give your all to him."
 
The Church is true.  Never give up, pray always, read the Book of Mormon every day, have faith, hold nothing back, have no regrets, always smile, enjoy every moment, laugh lots, and be yourself. 
 
Elder Travis Jay Ward

No comments:

Post a Comment