Travis' Mission

Travis' Mission

Monday, November 28, 2011

Joseph Smith Concert

I love missionary work so much.  This week was another great week.  On Tuesday I went on Divisions with my DL Elder Melendez.  I know my area very well now, so it was great to take him around my area to teach our investigators.  We took two sisters from the ward with us to teach Familia Salines.  To get to this family we have to cross the really safe and sturdy bridge (the one that reminds me of Emperors New Groove).  When these two sisters saw the bridge they turned around and started walking the other way, and they were freaking out.  I finally convinced them that the family was amazing, they have been to church twice, and they want to get baptized, and that the family was worth it to cross the bridge.  We crossed it very slowly, and they held onto our arms the whole time.  The lesson with that family went very well, they want to get married, and they are doing everything that they can to get married.  The father Jose wants all of his kids to come to church too, even though now of them live with him.  I love this family so much, and i am so grateful for the opportunity to teach them the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ.  It is so amazing to see how much the gospel and the spirit has changed their lives and how much happier they are.  The gospel is truly amazing, and i love preaching the gospel so much. 
On our way crossing the bridge we saw two motorcycles cross the bridge before us, and i am pretty sure that they were insane.  The bridge has no sides, and i thought that they were going to fall off.  I love seeing new crazy things every day.  I love this country so much.  I love the people, and the culture is amazing. 
 
The rest of the week was great.  The ward is really supportive of the missionary work, and we get one or two people from the ward every day to come with us and teach.  The investigators that have members there with them progress so much better.  Some people think that we are prophets and or angels (which is why i show my family to everyone we teach), so its really nice to have someone there to relate to them.  We found a lot of new people and family to teach.  I feel like there are so many people that we are teaching and not enough time to teach them all.  But with the help of the Lord and the guidance of the spirit i know that we can do it.  We pray lots to know where to go and what to do.  Its amazing how the Lord works, and I am so grateful for the many ways that he blesses me. 
 
Thanksgiving was just another day.  We worked hard all day, and we taught many people.  Our lunch cook made us some really good Fish, and for dinner the bishops wife made us some really good chicken.  It felt like a normal day, and it really didnt phase me that it was thanksgiving because I was too busy.  Latinos dont celebrate Thanksgiving because it is an American Holiday. 
 
Church was great like always.  Our investigators loved it, especially familia Salines.  After church they took us to lunch at a Galifuna (black people) food place.  Black people food is the best food i have ever had in my life (besides my Moms).  The black people here have soul power, plus they speak Spanish.  They are so much fun, and they love talking to us white kids.  Right after we ate our ward got on a school bus to go to the stake center for the big Joseph Smith Concert that they have been getting ready for a year.  I have never seen so many people on a bus before.  You really get to know the people when you are that close to them.  The Concert was really amazing.  There was a famous Honduran Orchestra with a Choir and dancers.  They pretty much did the whole Joseph Smith story through music.  The music was really good, the spirit was really strong.  Familia Salines said that they felt like their hearts were coming our of their chests, and that they have never been happier in their life.  The music was great, and it was such a wonderful experience.  I have such a strong testimony of Joseph Smith especially because i teach about him almost every day on how he restored this wonderful gospel.  I know that he was a true Prophet and that he restored this gospel. 
 
"Joseph Smith, The Prophet and Seer of the Lord, has done more, save Jesus only, for the salvation of men in this world, than any other man that ever lived in it." (D&C 135:3)
 
Sunday night our ward had "Noche de Hogar" (Family Night) at an inactives house, and we brought a few investigators.  There was 71 people that came, and we all traveled together because it was dark and the house was on the very edge of the area.  On the way we had to cross a spot covered in Mud.  The only way across was these small stepping stones.  One Hermana slipped and fell in the mud.  I jumped into the mud and helped her.  I then carried all the children and helped everyone cross.  I was so wet and dirty, but it was so worth it.  I love to serve others, and i dont care at what cost.  The family night was really good, and my comp and I sang "Nearer my God to Thee" as a duet.  Our ward is great, and i love the people so much.ç
 
Overall, I am doing fantastic.  I love being a missionary so much.  The wonderful and great moments out weigh the hard and tearful moments.  I am so grateful for the opportunity to be an instrument in the hands of the Lord.  I love preaching the gospel, and i have never been happier in my life.  Thanks for the prayers and support.
 
Elder Travis Jay Ward
 
"Our missionaries are gong forth to different nations, ... the standard of truth has been erected.  No unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing: Persecutions may rage, mobs may combine, armies may assemble, calumny may defame, but the truth of God will go forth boldly, nobly, and independent till it has penetrated every Continent, visited every clime, swept every country, and sounded in every ear, till the purposes of God shall be accomplished and the great Jehovah shall say the work is done."
-- Joseph Smith - The Standard of Truth --

No comments:

Post a Comment